Saturday 14 July 2007

Favourite Hymn

Here we can share our favourite hymns.  There are so many to choose from, of course, and it may be hard to choose just one!  It would be nice to hear the reasons for your choices - how the Lord has used it to challenge, encourage or bless you.

I will start with one of mine.

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my father!
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not:
As thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.

Summer and winter, and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above,
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Chorus
Great is Thy faithfulness,
Great is Thy faithfulness,
Morning by morning new mercies I see:
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord unto me!

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth.
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide,
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!



We had this hymn at our wedding, as it is a favourite of ours.  We feel that it has been our testimony as a couple, as well as our experience before we were married.  The Lord provides for ALL our needs - He has promised too, and we have no reason to doubt any of God's promises.  The reminder of our pardon from so much sin, and God's peace and presence, are further promises to be claimed from the Lord.  Such simple, but profound truths!


The next hymn is a favourite of Maryse's.

Naught have I gotten but what I received;
Grace hath bestowed it since I have believed;
Boasting excluded, pride I abase;
I’m only a sinner, saved by grace!

Refrain

Only a sinner, saved by grace!
Only a sinner, saved by grace!
This is my story, to God be the glory—
I’m only a sinner, saved by grace!

Once I was foolish, and sin ruled my heart,
Causing my footsteps from God to depart;
Jesus hath found me, happy my case;
I now am a sinner, saved by grace!

Tears unavailing, no merit had I;
Mercy had saved me, or else I must die;
Sin had alarmed me fearing God’s face;
But now I’m a sinner saved by grace!

Suffer a sinner whose heart overflows,
Loving his Savior to tell what he knows;
Once more to tell it would I embrace—
I’m only a sinner saved by grace!

It is truly only by God's grace that we have any standing before him - "by grace are ye saved".

No comments: